Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Turning Away

"The words I have spoken to you are spirit and they are life. Yet there are some of you who do not believe." ...From this time many of his disciples turned back and no longer followed him. (Jn. 6:63-66)

I can feel Jesus' heart breaking here. He wants only to lead people into spirit life. He's taught and he's modeled it and he's brought healing, acceptance and love to a harsh, uncaring society. But many still don't get it. They don't want what he's offering. They're being handed the winning lottery ticket and they're turning up their noses. He watches them walk away in sad clusters.

Sometimes I can relate to what Jesus felt here. I just want to invite people out of their meaningless lives into the joy and power of God's reign, but they just don't see it. You would think I were offering them a life of digging ditches. They walk away. I feel at times like I failed, but even Jesus watched crowds leave. Perhaps the real failure is that of the human heart to crave the divine life.

Lord, make me a more usable messenger. And please open their eyes to what you are really offering. Amen.

No comments: