Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Stranger in a Strange Land

[Jesus] left Judea and went back once more to Galilee. Now he had to go through Samaria. (John 4:3-4)

Is this a practical verse to journal on? You bet! While it's true that Samaria lay between Judea and Galilee, the typical travel route for Jews did not pass through Samaria. They took pains to go around. Jesus "had" to go there because God's mission compelled him. There were a bunch of people there that God wanted to be with him forever, beginning with a particular woman who was an outcast in her own town.

If I want to folow Jesus, I have to go where he goes. In recent years, I have discovered the fuller implications of what it means to be a Christ-follower. Jesus doesn't allow me to stay comfortably among people just like me. I have to venture in among people I wouldn't normally enjoy associating with. Truth is, doing this actually adds joy to my life. What I have found is that my capacity to love grows as I take these opportunities to cross social and spiritual boundary lines with Jesus. This whole idea of the cross crossing barriers between people--it really works!

Lord, it's uncomfortable for me to do this. Remind me of how uncomfortable you made yourself to know me, love me and save me. Teach me the joy that you knew while you loved and ministered among "different" and messy people. Amen.

No comments: