Monday, September 17, 2007

Hoist the Sails

We were touched yesterday by all the outpouring of love from the church. All of you guys are special to us and will continue to be. The reception, the cards, the gifts, the spoken words of affirmation were all tremendous blessings to me and to Cathy.

These words of Jesus speak to me:
"The wind blows where it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyoneborn of the Spirit." (John 3:8)

The with-God life is unpredictable. We cannot journey with God and remain in control of our own agenda. Yet the life of faith is also amazingly freeing, for it is more like sailing than rowing. We hoist our sails and let them billow up with the wind of the Holy Spirit. He drives us along to where he wants to take us. The main responsibility that I have is to be sure to keep my sails hoisted.

When I'm feeling like it's all up to me, I will reclaim the life Jesus wants for me and surrender to the Spirit's will. I will continue to spend time in his word, in prayer, and in other spiritual disciplines, listening to his voice.

Holy Spirit, blow through my whole being and fill me with the breath of Heaven. You are in control. You steer. Move me today to be and to do exactly as you will. Amen.

No comments: