Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Lamp

"John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light." (John 5:35)

A lamp doesn't light itself. It flames up from another source. It doesn't exist for itself but for the good of othes. It doesn't point to itself but illuminates something (or someone) else that needs to be seen. When a lamp is turned off or burned out or removed, it is missed. People enjoy the light of a lamp.

That's what I am--a lamp. God has given me a limited number of years to burn for him, to enable others to see Jesus. I've got to stay plugged into him. I want my life to bring a warm glow to the world around me. I want to be missed when I'm gone.

Lord, light my life up in your Spirit's fire. May others see you because of me. Amen.

No comments: