Tuesday, September 25, 2007

On Display

As Jesus went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life." (Jn. 9:1-3)

I know several people who are fighting cancer. Two of our neighbors have lost a child in the past few years. When I think of reasons why there are so many tragedies, so many debilitating diseases, several things come to mind: the brokenness of a fallen creation, the self-inflicted pain, and that which we afflict on others. But here Jesus reminds me that God redeems our tragedies and diseases by giving them a higher purpose: to bring out the work of God in our lives.

I can live in hope and expectation that Jesus shows up in the middle of my pain. He may deliver me in this life for his glory so that I can be his witness, sharing with others what he has done for me. He may shape me through the heat of the furnace so that all is stripped away but him, and he glows brightly in me--his love, his hope, his peace.

Lord, I trust you to display your power through the painful experiences of my life. Amen.

No comments: