Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Don't Fence Me Out

I am captivated by the prayer of Jesus just prior to his death.

"I pray for those who will believe in me. . .that all of them may be one . . . so that the world will believe you have sent me." (John 17:20-21)

I remember hearing a speaker describe a trip he took to Scotland. From the plane window, he looked over the green landscape and noticed it was criss-crossed by white fences dividing up the land. Months later, on a return trip, he looked out the plane window and noticed the fences were gone. On his arrival, he asked his contact, "What happened to all the fences I saw on my last trip?" He replied, "It's harvest time. When the crops are full-grown and ready to harvest, you can't see the fences."

Wow. That statement has stuck in my mind. I grew up in a time when Christ-followers were divided by clearly placed fences. And we were masters at justifying it. I'm thrilled to see the "crops" maturing, and the fence lines disappearing as the harvest grows ready to reap.

Lord, I personally commit to being a believer who lives out a oneness with all other believers who have joined me on this journey of faith. Though we may be at different places along the path, when it comes to our understanding of various topics and the degree to which we're living out God's mission, it is our faith in and devotion to Jesus that makes us one. Forgive me for the years in which I had a sinful, sectarian attitude towards other believers and critically kept them at arm's length. Forgive my immaturity, and please bring my brothers who still take pride in being fence-builders instead of bridge-builders to a gracious change of perspective, as you have done for me. Amen.

No comments: