Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Boneless Chicken

Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you!"
Then Jesus answered, "Will you really lay down your life for me? I tell you the truth, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!" (Jn. 13:37-38)

Cathy likes to buy boneless chicken. It saves her a lot of time, but it sure does fold over easily on the grill. It doesn't hold its shape. How can we be so committed one minute, and so quick to downshift into self-interest mode then next? It's easy to say I'll lay down my life until I'm actually asked to do it. The pressure cooker has a way of making boneless chickens of us all.

Most of the time, I have the conviciton to stand right beside Peter and say, "Lord, I'll lay down my life for you. Let me follow you wherever you are leading." But when the storms come, or even dark clouds just appear, I'm dismayed by how anxious and self-protective I can become in a hurry. Peter, you and I have an awful lot in common, more than I'd like to admit. That's got to change. Frankly, I don't see what a pilgrim's pride has to do with boneless chicken.

Lord, teach me that there really is victory in surrender, surprising blessing in self-sacrifice. Give me a backbone that won't collapse under the weight of disappointments or threatening circumstances. God, help me to stay true to my commitment to follow you into the fire and know I'll be better than alright. Amen.

No comments: