Thursday, November 1, 2007

Your Witness

"If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. . . . You are right in saying I am a King. In fact, for this reason I was born . . . to testify to the truth." (Jn. 18:23, 37)

John emphasizes the importance of testifying to the truth of who Jesus is. the power of the spoken word to sway the opinion of others is indisputable. Talk shows make their living doing it. Jesus goes on to say, "Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."

Speaking up for Jesus is part of being his follower. It often feels like my beliefs about Jesus are unwelcome, and that my testimony is unwanted and has no impact. But it's not my job to be Jesus' attorney; it's my job to be his witness. I don't have to convince the jury, I only need to tell what i have read, seen and experienced. Truth-seekers will be impacted. I may not get to see the final result, but my words get them thinking.

Jesus, I will be your witness. Just teach me to do like you did, and first ask what the other person's perspective of you is, to gain the right to be heard. Amen.

No comments: