Tuesday, July 31, 2007

By Strength And For Honor

Dan 4:30 The king uttered these words: "Is this not the great Babylon that I have built . . . by my own mighty strength and for my majestic honor?"

“Because I’m worth it.” “I deserve better!” “It’s not fair.” These thoughts and phrases permeate modern culture, but have roots all the way back to Nebuchadnezzar’s ancient pitfall. After reading his story surely we don’t need to be maddened, driven into the fields, dew soaked, and abandoned to sleep with the beasts before we realize pride’s error.

When I see truly, I see the dark corners of my heart; I see how little of even my greatest accomplishments come from my own strengths, skills, abilities, spirituality, or goodness. Seeing truly, I cringe at talk of “getting what I deserve because I’m worth it and it’s only fair,” for I deserve less than I’ve been given already. Everything I have is a gift, brought to me by God’s strength and for his honor.

My prayer is for humility and thankfulness.

No comments: