Saturday, November 10, 2007

Cross Comparison

Peter turned and saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following them. . . . When Peter saw him, he asked, "Lord, what about him?" Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (Jn. 21:20-22)

Comparisons--we love to make them. When I buy something, I always compare to make sure I'm getting the best deal. And I do the same thing with my life. I can relate to Peter, who seems to have been feeling a little envious of John's relationship with Jesus. Perhaps he felt that John was getting special favor. He wanted to know if John's path of ministry was going to be as rough as the one Jesus was plotting for him.

Funny how when I compare myself to others, I most often look at those who seem to be better off than me and come away feeling deprived. Rarely do I look at the guy who has it much harder than I do and think about how blessed I am. I have often wondered why some ministers seem to have the golden touch. "Why can't I lead a church like that?" I wonder. "Why didn't God give me those kinds of opportunities?" I'm not spending much time looking at the guy who has been preaching to the little rural church of less than 50 people for 50 years and thinking, "Wow! I sure have had it good compared to him."

Okay, this passage chides me a bit. Jesus has the right to do what he wants with what is his. I am just to follow him wherever it takes me. How quickly I forget that Jesus' path led to a brutal cross. Lord, when I feel jealous of others, remind me that you chose the way of suffering for me. Amen.

No comments: