Tuesday, August 7, 2007

I Stand With Sinners

"We have sinned and done wrong. We have been wicked and have rebelled; we have turned away from your commands and laws. We have not listened to your servants the prophets, who spoke in your name . . ." (Dan. 9:5-6)

What had Daniel done wrong? Even the archangel calls him "highly esteemed" (v. 21-23). This guy is about as tuned into God as they come. Yet his confession of Israel's sins is spoken as one of them ("we"). God's people who wear his Name (v. 19), but don't live in his ways need not my condemnation but my intercession. But rather than setting myself above them, as if I am more righteous, I need to identify with them and confess our guilt as a people. This exemplifies the true oneness of God's people as he sees us.

Father, we have sinned and failed to listen to your messengers, especially to Jesus. We wear his name, but so feebly and reluctantly walk down the path in which he leads us. Please forgive us. Please show mercy. May we bring glory and praise to your name again as a people instead of scorn. Amen.

No comments: