Friday, December 7, 2007

Love Is Trumps

This statement by the apostle Paul, known for his heady theology, resonates deeply with me:

Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know. But the man who loves God is known by God. (1 Cor. 8:2-3)

It's pretty simple, really: Love trumps knowledge. In fact, in the game of life and spirituality, love is always trumps. Accumulating knowledge is like sucking in a big, deep breath, and it can make you look about as inflated! It inflates your ego, unless showing unconditional love remains your higher priority.

Some significant contrasts jump out at me from what Paul wrote:
1) The uncertainty of knowing ("the man who thinks he knows") versus the certainty of loving ("the man who loves"). No matter how knowledgeable, I still don't have it all right. But I can be confident that showing love is always right.

2) Valuing what "I know" versus valuing being known by God. And being known by God comes not by having all the right religious positions, but by truly loving God in action ("the man who loves God is known by God"). And that love is shown particularly by the patience and care with which I treat those who don't yet know what I do (as the rest of the chapter explains).

Lord, when I start to feel superior or throw my knowledge around, remind me that what I know isn't as important as the love I show to my fellow travelers on this journey. Teach me to be humble in my positions, to respect those who have other ideas, and to be known by you through my loving actions.

No comments: